Our Mission + Vision
The mission of H.U.Gs 4 Girls N STEA+M Inc., is to expose girls to rigorous STEA+M (science, engineering, arts + math) content that will develop their higher-level critical thinking skills to prepare them to solve real world problems as productive citizens. Advocate for equal STEA+M education for all girls Pre-K-12, including Underrepresented minorities (URMs), Special Need girls including autism spectrum disorder (ASD).
Our Vision is put into action STEA+M (science, technology, engineering, art + Math) to show girls at an early age that science, technology, engineering, art + math and problem-solving are not only fun and worthwhile, but are proven paths to successful STEA+M careers and a bright future.
Build a strong desire of STEA+M majors within the community, with a commitment to bridge the gender gap for the pathway to the global 21st century STEM workforce.
PATHWAY TO SUCCESS
Data from the U.S. Department of Education shows that early-childhood development, including elementary school is connected to STEM learning:
(1) Particularly receptive to learning math and logic between the ages of 1 and 4;
(2) Inquiry and exploration are foundations for math and science and are also the foundations of early learning.
(3) There is a large gap for special needs including autism spectrum disorder(ASD) for early childhood education for female students.
(4) The gap widen at the college level gender gap in majoring in STEM-related fields among young adults with an ASD (39 % of male students with an ASD vs. 3 % of female students with an ASD).
(5) the research study suggests that increasing the STEM participation rate among females is an even greater urgent issue for those with developmental disabilities than in the general population. (J Autism Dev Disorder (2013)